The Tongariro Crossing Shuttles leaves from Ski Haus at 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10:30am (weather permitting). Hikers are dropped off at Mangatepopo car park, the start of the Tongariro Alpine Crossing, and then picked up at the end trail from Ketetahi car park at 1:30, 2:30, 3:30, 4:30 or 6pm.
- Cost $40 per person (return trip)
Alpine conditions change rapidly on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. It is essential that hikers are prepared for all weather, including snow, rain and high winds.
What to Bring
- Food and plenty of water, especially on hot days
- Rainproof coat (overtrousers are a good idea too)
- Sturdy boots – uneven volcanic terrain can be difficult and tiring to walk on
- Warm woollen or polypropylene clothing – cotton clothes don’t keep you warm when its wet
- Woollen hat and gloves or mittens
- Sun protection
- Personal first aid kit
- Map – important in poor visibility
- Cellphone for emergencies
Whakapapa Ski Field / Whakapapa Village Shuttle
The shuttle to Whakapapa departs daily at 8am, 12pm and 2pm. Returning at 12.30pm, 2:30pm and 4:30pm.
Mountain Bike transport
The Tongariro Volcanic Adventures bus picks up and drops off cyclists (and their bikes) for all local tracks around Tongariro National Park. This service is available on demand (minimum two people).